Eco-friendly pesticides made from naturally occurring substances or living organisms(plants, microbes) are called as Bio-pesticides.
Advantages of Bio-pesticides
- Their use will not lead to soil and water pollution as no harmful chemicals are present
- They decompose very easily as they are made up of bio compounds
- Ingestion of poisonous chemicals in food cycle will not occur.
- Bio compounds can be lab-designed to target specific pests.
Bio-pesticides can be classified into three main types
- Bio-fungicide: This type prevents fungal growth in and around plants. A good example is Trichoderma.
- Bio-herbicide: It prevents the growth of herbs and provide plants competition free environment. Example: Phytopthora
- Bio-insecticide: It helps protecting the plants from insects. Example: Bacillus thuringeinsis
In India, plant extracts have been used in traditional agriculture to protect crops from diseases, pests & insects. Extracts of many plants like turmeric, ginger, tobacco, papaya, tulsi, aloe & neem have been found effective in curing plant diseases.
Neem is a blessing. Neem extracts are effective against many pests types like arthropods, nematodes, fungi, virus etc. Neem oil is extracted from neem seeds and is the best, effective, economical & eco-friendly pesticide.
Health consciousness is increasing among the masses which in turn is creating a demand for organic food. Organic farming when pursued has a problem in countering the pest menace. Bio-pesticides are the right blocks to fill the gap.