List of Types of Organic Fertilizers
Organic fertilizers are derived from plant & vegetable residues, animal matter & animal excreta or mineral sources. A basic advantage of organic fertilizers is that they have complex biological structure. They take time and help of organisms present in soil to break down to simpler nutrient molecules. This process is slow and hence the full and timely consumption of the nutrients by plants is ensured unlike the chemical fertilizers.
Organic fertilizers are economically better than there chemical counterparts. They can be prepared locally on the farm. Made from locally procured material they always have a better availability. They are better on environmental aspects as well. They are made from renewable ingredients which will always be available.
Basic Types of Organic Fertilizers:
- It is made from animal excreta(cow dung & goat droppings). Cattle Manure is a good source of nitrogen and organic carbon while goat manure is rich in nitrogen and potash.
- It is organic matter decomposed through composting. The organic matter used here can be vegetable and plant waste, animal excreta.
3. Rock Phospate
- It is sedimentary rock which contains high amount of phosphate minerals. It is used naturally to fix phosphate levels of soil.
4. Chicken Litter
- It consists of chicken manure and sawdust. It has high levels of nitrogen and potash. Consider superior for conditioning of soil for harvest than chemical fertilizers
5. Bone Meal
- It is a mix of ground slaughter house waste products like animal bones. It is a very good source of phosphorous and amino acids. Being organic it is also a slow release fertilizer.