Plastic ban in Maharashtra: Illustrated Guidebook
In 2018, the Government of Maharashtra had issued a notification banning certain plastic & Thermocol Products in the state. Recently, the Environment Department of Maharashtra and Maharashtra Pollution Control Board has published an illustrated guide book for plastic and thermocol ban notification 2018. This guidebook is intended to help common people understand what all categories or type of products have been banned in the state of Maharashtra.
What all items are banned in Maharashtra ?
- Less than 200 ml drinking water PET bottles, having liquid holding capacity, printed with deposit and refund price or buy-back price under EPR
- Plastic mineral water pouch
- Plastic & Thermocol for decoration.
- One time use / Single use disposable items madeup of Thermocol (Polystyrene) or Plastic. e.g. dish, spoon,cups, plates, glasses, fork, bowl, container.
- Disposable dish / bowl used for packaging foods in hotels and Straw
- All other Compostable plastic bags except which are used for plant nurseries, horticulture, agriculture & handling solid waste.
Also Read: Alternatives to Plastic Straw
Plastic Items that are allowed
- Bottles with liquid holding capacity 200 ml or more. and with MRP printed.
- Manufacture of plastic and plastic bags for export purpose in special economic zone & export oriented units.
- Plastic material madeup of minimum 20 % recyclable plastic material & having a thickness more than 50 micron, used for wrapping the material at the manufacturing stage or integral part of manufacturing. Thermocol used for wrapping the material at manufacturing stage. (printed with manufacturer’s details, type of plastic with code number and buy-back price under EPR).
- Plastic packaging material more than 50 micron thickness with minimum two grams weight used toseal groceries & grain products for wholesale & retail. (printed with manufacturer’s details, type of plastic with code number and buy-back price under EPR).
- Compostable plastic bags for plant nurseries, horticulture, agriculture & handling solid waste.
- Paper based carton packaging using one or more layer of plastic.
- Virgin plastic bags used for milk, having thickness not less than 50 microns and with a printed buyback price.
- Recyclable multilayered plastic used in packaging of chips, biscuits, shampoo, oils, chocolates etc.
- Plastic items for domestic purposes like mugs, buckets, jars, bottles etc.
- Plastic used in packaging medicines, medical products & equipments.
- Thermocol boxes to preserve fishes in fishery business
- Recyclable Plastic products for office & education like folders, files.
- Other plastic products like raincoat, tarpaulins,
Penalties under plastic & Thermocol Notification
- First offence Rs. 5000/- Fine
- Second Offence Rs. 10,000/- Fine.
- Third Offence Rs. 25,000/- Fine + 3 months imprisonment
- Illustrated guidebook on Plastic & Thermocol Notification – Download PDF