Eco-Friendly Bamboo Toothbrush from Terrabrush
Bamboo Toothbrush are Sustainable alternatives to Plastic toothbrush, which adversely impact the environment.
Like any other toothbrush, Bamboo Toothbrush has two main parts, a handle and bristles for brushing. The handle is made of MOS bamboo. Bamboo is usually heat treated to carbonise the surface of the bamboo, giving it a quality finish and improving the service life.
This carbonisation finishing process provides water resistance and prevents the growth of microbes (bacteria and moulds) during normal use. The bristles are made from Nylon fibre. Features:
- BPA-free bristles
- Handle – made from biodegradable & compostable bamboo
- Comes in recyclable & compostable cardboard box
- Naturally antibacterial bamboo handle.
Buy Bamboo Toothbrush From
Bamboo Toothbrush: Specifications
|Variants||Pack of 4 Brushes|
|Material||Handle: Bamboo | Bristles: Nylon|
|Country of Origin:||India|
|Product Dimensions:||20 x 2.5 x 2 cm|
Why should you switch from plastic toothbrush to bamboo toothbrush ?
Here the simple reason why:
- Plastic toothbrushes came onto the market in 1938 and since then every single tooth brush that got produced still exists somewhere on the planet.
- As hard it may be to believe, ordinary plastic toothbrushes are the second largest source of plastic waste after plastic bags.
- As per foreo, every year in USA alone, more than 1 billion toothbrushes get thrown away.
- Just in India, more than 150 million plastic toothbrushes are thrown into the garbage every month.
- Most of these plastic toothbrush are made from rubber, polypropylene – which is in-turn made from crude oil.
- Being non-biodegradable, plastic toothbrushes find their way to waterways and oceans, cause pollution and threat to marine life.
How is using Bamboo Toothbrush Sustainable ?
- Bamboo is Bio-degradable and hence has considerable considerably smaller ecological footprint compared to plastic.
- Unlike wood, bamboo is a member of the grass family. It regenerates, regrowth, and spreads much quicker than trees. Certain varieties can grow to full size in just 3-4 months.
- Additionally, bamboo needs little care and may thrive without fertilizer or pesticides.
- Bamboo is mostly grown & sourced locally, providing income (livelihood) to rural masses.
- Bamboo is an ideal replacement for plastic toothbrush handles because, like plastic, bamboo is extremely strong yet light in weight. It is often called “green steel” because of its durability and hardness.
- Bamboo is naturally antimicrobial. Properties within the bamboo stalks themselves naturally prevent bacteria from growing on the bamboo surface. This makes bamboo an ideal material for using in hygienic products like a toothbrush.
Are Bamboo Toothbrushes 100% naturally made ?
While the handle of Bamboo Toothbrushes is made from bamboo, in most cases, bristles are still made of Nylon. A fully biodegradable toothbrush, is one with a bamboo handle and bristles made from bamboo/corn fibre (or any other appropriate Natural fibre/animal hair).
But given the current limitations of technology, most of the bamboo toothbrush manufactures still prefer nylon bristles, also these are considered safer for the user.
However, this should not stop one from using these toothbrush as we believe in current stage they combine best of both worlds, the safety & comfort of Nylon bristles and doing away with un-necessary plastic handles.
What is the most eco-friendly toothbrush?
The most eco-friendly toothbrush would be any toothbrush made with a bamboo handle and 100% bio-based or 100% plant-based bristles.
Use & Care of Bamboo Toothbrush
You can use a toothbrush with a bamboo handle the same way you would use a plastic toothbrush and should keep the same considerations in mind. Keep the toothbrush dry after use.
Product Life & Disposal:
Replace after 3 months (standard recommended by dentists). You can pluck out the bristles at the time of disposal and compost the handle.