The curious case of Negative Calorie Foods
Calories provide the energy that our body needs to function and stay alive. Every task we do requires energy and it all comes from calories that our food comes packed with. Consequently, when one plans for loosing weight, one needs to consume less calories and burn much more by exercising on a regular basis. Some foods have become more popular in weight loss diets because they’re supposedly “negative calorie foods” meaning that you lose calories by eating them.
What are Negative Calorie Foods ?
Negative calorie foods are labelled so as digesting these foods takes up more calories than what they inherently contain. This does not mean that these negative calorie foods do not contain calories but only the fact that your body ends up burning more calories than what you consume. Hence, you can have as much of these foods as you like without any weight gain.
While there is no evidence to support that negative-calorie foods burn more calories than they provide, it is true that on consuming certain foods, the body ends up burning more calories than usual as their digestion requires more energy. High fiber foods or those that have a low glycemic index can be called as negative calorie foods.
Here, is a list or Negative Calorie Foods or Almost Zero Calorie foods that one can find easily.
- Apples: There are enough claims that prove apple is great for the body and skin. It has soluble fibre that can reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Cucumber: Usually consumed as a salad, if you double your salad intake and reduce grains it will automatically reflect positively on your weight chart.
- Broccoli: You can have it steamed or even cook it as a main course. It has barely 34 calories per 100 grams and is ranked high amongst superfoods. It is packed with fibers and antioxidants and studies have shown that it may also have certain anti-cancer properties.
- Carrot: It is filled with beta carotene, fibre, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.
- Watermelon: This fruit is filled with water and is great filler to have during the day. It can also curb your sugar craving.
- Tomato: – It is a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
- Celery: It contains only about 16 calories per 100 grams (as per USDA), and is ranked high among negative calorie foods. Celery is also packed with fiber and is also rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate.
- Lettuce: Lettuce contains only 6 calories per 100 grams, lettuce is not only low in calories but it is also rich in fiber, vitamin B, folic acid, and manganese.
- Zucchini: Zucchini has only close 18 calories per 100 grams and is one of the highly recommended negative calorie foods by the nutritionists. It also promotes bowel regularity and aids to water balance in the body.
- Spinach: Spinach is another leafy green that is loaded with vitamins and minerals and very low in calories. It’s high in vitamin K, vitamin A and folate and has more protein than some other leafy vegetables.
There are many delicious foods that are low in calories. Most of them are fruits and vegetables that also contain nutrients that benefit your health.
Negative calorie foods do help in losing weight as they are not only low in calories but they also help in burning more calories. However, following one particular diet can also lead to missing out on the other important nutrients. The key to better living is healthy diet with regular exercise is the key to successful weight loss. Eating a variety of these foods will provide you with plenty of nutrients for a minimal amount of calories.